Monday, January 9, 2012

Becoming Mary In a Martha World

{Written By Miss Bethany}

Bethany & Robby
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” {Luke 10:38-42}

"Beppy, beppy! Read to me!" shouted 3-year old Robby as he ran to me with the children picture Bible in his soft little hands. "Beppy, please read to me!" He repeated as he sat down next to me on the living room couch. "Okay Robby, I'll read to you!" I answered as he edged closer to me on the seat, made himself comfortable and softly placed his chubby hands in his lap. I watched his once-baby feet dangle of the couch-his legs too short to touch the ground. He handed me the book and and I opened it and started to read. We read together the stories of Noah and the Ark, David and Goliath, Peter finding the coin in the fish mouth to pay for taxes, and more. Finally we came to the story titled "Mary and Martha". "Read this one!" Robby said as he pointed to the picture of two ladies in Biblical clothing. "Okay" I told him. "Mary and Martha were friends of Jesus" I began. "One time Jesus came to Mary and Martha's house to visit. Mary sat at Jesus feet and listened to Him talk while Martha hurried around and did lots of housework. Martha got frustrated with Mary because she wasn't helping Martha. Jesus told her to not worry and to take a break and listen to Jesus, just like Mary." Robby laughed aloud as he looked at the picture of Martha in a frenzy with a mixing bowl in her arms and a mixture flying everywhere in her haste to mix the contents. I thought it funny that someone could get that busy without realizing it. "How could anyone want to work when Jesus was in their home?" I wondered. But then it hit me: sometimes I'm so busy with things on my to-do list that I loose track of everything that is truly important and that that truly matters versus a long list. That night not only did Robby have a story read to him, but I learned a lesson and gained insight as well.


~*~

     Have you ever been so busy that you didn't think you could keep up? We all have busy times in ones life, but sometimes I think that we can easily over-do it without even knowing it. In today's culture everything is fast paced and everyone always seems to have somewhere to go, something to do, somewhere to be and so forth. My mother has often told me of the importance of slowing down often and taking a break and now I know that she is right.

     Its so easy to commit to doing lots of things but I think that the Lord wants us to take a break often. I've often realized that if I'm busy thinking about everything I need to do during my devotions then I don't get as much out of that time and I don't learn anything! Sometimes all I need to do is calm myself down and forget about all I need to do and let the Spirit speak to me. Because if my mind is bubbling to overflowing with things I've supposedly "got" to get done, then am I really going to hear the Holy Spirit when He speaks over the noise of it all? If I will take a break and stay still and listen for him then I'll be able to hear Him a lot better! Psalm 46:10 tells us "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."


     Sometimes it is necessary to take a break. If we don't have time to do our devotions each morning, or we are filling that time with other projects, than we are being like Martha. Sometimes this means saying "no" to certain activities. And while I'm not saying that you shouldn't ever do anything, I am saying that balance it good and needed. If you are so busy that you can't see straight, then maybe you should consider somethings that you could do without. Ask the Lord what He would have you to do. But I would like to encourage each of you to take a break sometimes this week and calm yourself down and instead of running crazy, sit at Jesus feet and listen. You will be glad that you did!


    One time as Johanna and I were talking on the phone, she shared with me something that I've found useful. She called it a "date with Jesus". The idea is to take one morning, and instead of doing the regular devotions routine, to take some time to get quiet before the Lord. Make a cup of tea and just reflect through His doing, let Him speak to you. I would recommend this to all of you for these are the times the Lord speaks! May you be blessed through your choice to quite yourself before the Lord!


 He says, Be still, and know that I am God
{Psalms 46:10}


Resting in His Presence,

Bethany

4 Words of Grace:

Rachel said...

Amazing post Miss Bethany! I loved Miss Johanna's "date with Jesus"

Emily said...

Bethany,
Thank you for inspiring me!!! What a thoughtful and encouraging post. I feel like sometimes I need to just STOP and read my bible too. Children are a blessing arn't they?
Emmy J.

Emily Boyd said...

This is a perfectly timed reminder. Thank you so much! I love miss Johanna's idea.

Unknown said...

Wonderful, Miss Bethany! Very encouraging and challenging. ;) I am planning a date with Jesus for this week. ;) Thank you, Miss Johanna, for the idea!!
Blessings,
Miriam